A disgruntled librarian packs it up and leaves fabulous New York City behind,
going on random global adventures,
while simultaneously promoting literacy
and spreading the love of the written word.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

it's good to be a quitter

you may be asking yourself, "self, i wonder what is going on with miss dewey decimal's job?  is she going away 'on leave?'  will they allow her back?"  the answer is ... no!  i am high-tailing it out of here,  and my last day is quickly approaching!

it's not easy to quit your job and run off on south american adventures.  not at all.  people will try to tell you that you're lucky to have a job and blah blah blah the job market is terrible.  and what will you do about health insurance?  and what if you don't find a job in south america?  and what if you're attacked by banditos?  and how will you possibly find work when you come back?  it's all rather dizzying to deal with.

but i tell you it's good to be a quitter!  first off, everything that happens in the library is now "not my problem."  the teachers from the local school want the Summer Reading Program information even though it's not even April yet.  not my problem.   people want the april calendar even though we don't know who will be replacing me and whether or not they can help with the programs listed on said calendar.  not my problem.  see how that works?

and i'll let you in on a little secret ... the kids are cuter now.  yup, knowing that i will soon be departing has turned the children from an overwhelming burden into cuteness again.  sometimes i can actually just relax and enjoy working with them, knowing that my days are numbered.

now ... i don't want to get ahead of myself.  BUT i heard a rumor, and by rumor i mean i received an official staff email, that we might be getting another retroactive "living wage" type pay increase.  now it's only for people in certain titles and i'm sure there are all sorts of rules, but i am pretty sure i qualify.  which means, that i will be getting a small raise retroactively from a year ago, possibly two years ago, which i will receive in a lump sum before my last day.  oh, i hope it's true!  miss dewey decimal needs a new pair of shoes!  (actually two, i need a new pair of boots since they discontinued my favorite Nine West boots, and i need a new pair of sneakers since i have flattened my sneakers due to excessive jump roping)

tomorrow is pay day, cross your fingers for me!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could be so confident or had a partner who is willing to take these type risk...I wish the two all the best in your travels. Its going to amazing...BTW I love your blog...Question what was the name of the Karoke place we went to for your birthday I think last year in the thirties?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's called Chorus, and it's 25 west 35th. i highly recommend the korean bbq place a few doors down, kum gang san, if you want to get dinner first ;)

    ReplyDelete