i was talking to my ex-step-father (don't ask questions, just go with it) ... and he was saying that he doesn't ever prepare for vacations because he always goes to the same place and he doesn't do any activities beyond eating and sitting on the beach. must be relaxing. anyway, as you could imagine, our adventures take some planning. and of course when you're leaving for an extended period of time, there are all these little things you have to get done before you go. as stressful as this can be, the past 3 weeks seem to have included an inordinate number of ridiculous problems. observe:
- went to the dentist and found out i have 4 cavities, one of which needs a root canal. after many phone calls with my insurance company i found out that said root canal is not covered because i have 8 other teeth that touch. yup, that's right ... because i am neither a hobo nor a crackhead, my teeth are too good for a root canal to be considered a "necessity." moving on!
- spent an extended period of time desperately trying to prove to a community college that i am in fact a resident of new york ... please note that i have never lived in any other state other than new york in my entire life. thankfully i finally convinced them (it involved my brother venturing into our mother's attic in search of old tax returns) and they have allowed me to enroll in online classes. nothing better than lugging a bunch of textbooks around an entire continent for 2.5 months! yay!
- after planning a nice little going away party for ourselves, our lives are interrupted by a "hurricane" and the city's entire mass transit system is preemptively shut down for no reason, making our party impossible to get to. thank you to those two devoted guests who attended!
- however, during the extreme boredom of the non-hurricane, i was able to finish the online portion of my scuba certification. i am now ready for the practical portion of my open-water training!
- yesterday i proudly strode into the dentist office for the 4th time in 3 weeks, ready to receive my crown, only to find out that the crown didn't fit. really?! but it was so expensive! and of course there is not enough time to re-adjust the crown before we leave today, so i am being shipped off to Oceania with only a temporary tooth that is cemented in place. no salt water taffy for me. le sigh.
- and today, before we leave for the airport at 3pm we need to rent a zip car, load it with our crap, and move our remaining stuff into storage. why didn't we do that yesterday? because after the crown fitting i spent several hours tracking down textbooks. one of which i found in nyc and was able to purchase for the bargain price of $145 (what the hell? these books aren't even interesting! why are they so expensive?) the other the bolshevik was cleverly able to find on a new zealand website and it is being shipped to our hostel in auckland. ridiculous.
so .... off we go!!